Lost In Laos (Part 4) - Lao Living Farm

6:33 PM

Work has been taking quite a bit of my time this week since I started, so I haven't exactly found the time or the energy to continue with my Laos blogposts. Indeed, weekends are so precious.

For our fifth day in Laos, we had to wake up pretty early for the farm activities that the guides have planned for us. We got to experience a little of what it's like to be a farmer, as they taught us the process of how they care for their paddy fields that produce the sticky rice that they supply to some parts of Luang Prabang.

We had a go at planting sprouts - something I have absolutely no talent in because I either can't make the roots stay in the soil or have the sprouts drown in mud. I guess I can't even make a living out of farming lol. And then there was ploughing their muddy fields with their water buffalo to keep the soil fertile.

 photo _MG_0029_zpstmnt5cio.jpg
 photo _MG_0030_zpsyxmw9kaz.jpg
 photo _MG_0286_zpstgbo9ap5.jpg
 photo _MG_0284_zpse4ovylyy.jpg
 photo _MG_0020_zpsay7qtggq.jpg
 photo _MG_0275_zpsxrzkedx5.jpg
 photo _MG_0013_zpsjvhqurhb.jpg
 photo _MG_0297_zpsfxmadzgc.jpg
 photo _MG_0321_zpshon88lit.jpg
 photo _MG_0312_zpsaext9bsm.jpg
 photo _MG_0322_zpskdfuskt0.jpg
 photo _MG_0302_zpstbvtxye5.jpg

I thought it was pretty cool how their buffalo is actually pink instead of the usual black?? Haha.

We harvested the rice, and it was such a tedious process it's no wonder why farmers don't need a gym LOL. We then got to choosing the good grains amongst the whole sack and got to try some of the local snacks they made from their rice.

They also made sugarcane juice using their super huge roller mills to crush the cane, in which its mechanism in run mainly on manpower. Not a bad experience, donning straw hats and stumbling through muddy fields.

 photo _MG_0274_zpsa3lst72r.jpg
 photo _MG_0294_zpsnb8hncmf.jpg
 photo _MG_0275_zpsxrzkedx5.jpg
 photo _MG_0263_zpsiibc4xbp.jpg
 photo _MG_0048_zpsfnfqmvtr.jpg
 photo _MG_0047_zpsnjf1hooc.jpg  photo _MG_0055_zpsthba44oe.jpg
 photo _MG_0067_zpsulzdcc88.jpg
 photo _MG_0061_zpsh3kboplm.jpg
 photo _MG_0081_zpsarmyssza.jpg

Similarly to day four, I would have hoped for more activities to be planned for the remaining of the day but we just had free time to ourselves after that. I wanted to go around exploring more of the treks that Laos has to offer but it was too late for that.

For the last two days in Laos, we rented bicycles and were free to explore any part of Luang Prabang at our own time and pace. I appreciated the free and easy time, but I honestly felt like seven days in Luang Prabang was a little too much? Because the five days we had is almost enough to cover most of what this city has to offer, and I thought that it would have been better if we were allowed to explore other cities in Laos instead.
If you're planning to visit Laos, it would be optimal to visit a couple of cities at a go since the differing cities have so much to offer! I would have chosen to go to Vientiane, Vang Vieng or Nong Khiaw. Nong Khiaw seems to have really good treks and scenery.


I shall blog about my bike and trekking ventures for the last two days soon, if I manage to peel myself away from the novels that I've gotten myself recently. It's been a while since I got back to this reading hobby.
But that's gonna take a while cause I haven't edited the photoset... Oops hahaha. Ever since I took up some freelance photo editor works on top of my current job, I've been more focused on my work images that I'm neglecting my personal ones. Well, I'll work on them soon!

It's amazing how time flies. It's already the fourth month of 2016.

Check out my other posts on Laos:
▶ Lost in Laos (Part 1) - Luang Prabang
▶ Lost in Laos (Part 2) - Hill Tribe Villages
▶ Lost in Laos (Part 3) - Kuang Si Waterfalls & Butterfly Park
▶ Lost in Laos (Part 4) - Lao Living Farm
▶ Lost in Laos (Part 5) - Xiang Men Village, Nam Khan & Mekong River

You Might Also Like

0 Comments