Pemulan Bali Farm Cooking School - Bali Getaway (part 1)

7:57 PM

Recapping on some of the highlights of my Bali getaway with Han! One of them was a cooking class at Pemulan Bali Farm Cooking School, where had our first hands-on session on making Balinese food!





This is the one thing I never thought I'd do especially while I'm traveling - attend a cooking class. But with Han's chef profession and his interest in local cuisine, learning how to make Balinese food naturally came up while we planned our itinerary. Han was very keen in learning how to make their sambal/chili (we are obsessed with spicy food, the more intolerable the better), so he decided to learn from the locals by taking up this class.

There are multiple cooking classes in Bali you can choose from, but we picked Pemulan Farm simply because their ratings are good. As part of the class itinerary, they'll bring you around the Tegallalang local market to see their produce. You get to pick your own ingredients from the school's farm as well.








I can't exactly remember what we the names of the exact dishes we made, but we had some sweet and sour tempeh, mixed vegetables (my fav!!), chicken curry, satay and some others. It was a 7 course meal that runs over 6 hours. It was a class about 16pax, so we had about 7 other pairs that were taking the class with us!

Honestly, I thought the pacing of the class was just right. It wasn't too tiring since we had breaks between. And food wise, it is really authentic Balinese food and the recipes were soooo good!







The instructor was entertaining and classes were fun, although it spices grinding part was really intense LOL. There were no language barriers cause the instructors could speak English fluently. I'd say we had fun!
Class is about $40/pax. Initially I thought that it was pretty pricey, but after considering the ingredients and transportation costs, it's actually pretty worth it?? You'll definitely be stuffed after the 7 courses.

If you're someone who loves to cook, especially foods with authentic local flavours, I would recommend this class! Even though I'm not really a fan of cooking myself, I definitely enjoyed the food I had after HAHA.


How to get there:
You can contact the school for a pickup from your hotel at an extra charge! Otherwise, you could get a taxi/private hire to do so, and they will most probably meet you at the Tegallalang market.

Address: 
Banjar Patas, Taro, Tegallalang, Taro, Gianyar, Bali 80561, Indonesia


Check out my other travel posts:
▶ Catching Sunrise on Mount Batur - Bali Getaway (part 2)
▶ Food and Sightseeing Highlights - Bali Getaway (part 3)

You Might Also Like

0 Comments